Scripture

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. ~Psalm 51:10

Monday, January 24, 2011

Teachable or Not?

Today, I missed doing what I love to do, what I am passionate about, what I am called to do -- Teach. As I sat at home, with a headache & stomach ache, I began to think about teaching, trials, and tribulations. I have always truly believed that we are all life-long learners. We never fully arrive. I try to instill in my students and model for my students life-long learning. We talk about mistakes are always opportunities to grow and learn. As I have been going through some trials, I have also shared with them that Mrs. Mayfield never stops learning. What's equally as important is teaching them the love of learning.

Reality is that many people do not have a willingness to learn. Alongside learning is humility. It takes humility for someone to admit they do not understand or know something. "A teachable spirit requires humility--the ability to acknowledge that there is a great deal you can learn from other people--and from God" (taken from Checklist for Life for Teachers). How teachable are you? Your children, your students, your friends, etc. may end up being the best teachers you ever had!

God is continually teaching me to listen and learn. This was so evident as I began looking through my emails. I had two different devotions this morning from two different sources, along with a former student (thanks Emily) posting on facebook--all the same scripture: John 16:33 "I have told you all this so that you will have peace of heart and mind. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows; but cheer up, for I have overcome the world."

Father: Your promises of peace are amazing! Thank you for giving me a teachable spirit. Help me to always be listening and learning. Thank you for placing wonderful people in my life who teach me: family, friends, co-workers, and students. Thank you for allowing me to further my education and grow as a teacher. Thank you for entrusting your children with whom I can teach teach and model a love of learning; but most of all thank you for letting me learn from them!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment